Mexican Hot Chocolate is often made with spices like cinnamon and chilies. A slightly spicy hot cocoa is a tradition passed down form the Aztecs. These mini cupcakes are inspired from that same chocolate spice drink.
I have noticed many variations of these cupcakes popping up lately but something about this one in particular caught my eye. Maybe it was the delicious chocolate cake or the cinnamon cream cheese frosting, no matter what it was I am glad I chose it!
I felt that the mini cupcakes looked a bit plain after I frosted them so I decided to add dark chocolate shavings.
Using a potato peeler worked extremely well to create little chocolate shavings that fit perfectly on top of each cake.
All though this picture shows a bit taken out of the cake they really are bite size. You can just pop the whole thing in your mouth.
I fell in love with this recipe! I plan to make it again and again and again!
Mini Mexican Hot Chocolate Cupcakes
- 3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons good cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk, shaken
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 extra-large egg, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup freshly brewed hot coffee
Sift the first eight ingredients into the bowl of a stand mixer. Whisk to make sure all ingredients are combined.
In another bowl, combine the buttermilk, oil, eggs, and vanilla.
With the mixer on low, slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until just combined. Keeping the mixer on low, add the coffee and stir to combine. Scrape bowl to make sure everything is incorporated.
Fill muffin cups halfway (I filled them 3/4's full) and bake for 10-15 minutes (mine cooked in 10) or till cake tester comes out clean. Cakes will be soft and airy.
Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 8oz. package room temperature cream cheese
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) room temperature butter
- 1-2 cups confectioner’s sugar (I used only 1 cup)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (I used 1/2 teaspoon)
Top with chocolate shavings or any other preferred topping and enjoy!