Friday, September 23, 2011

Chocolate Nutella Cupcakes


So these were sort of an experiment... and typical of an experiment they gave me lots of new ideas! They came out pretty tasty as is but I now have so many ideas to make them even better.

Late last night, while watching Mad Men and enjoying a glass of wine, I suddenly NEEDED a late night chocolate snack. I went to the kitchen and looked around but nothing I found seemed good enough. Thanks to Club:BAKED I have lots and LOTS of ingredients. I then went to trusty old Google and asked him what I should make. I stumbled across a few different chocolate cupcake recipes and decided to experiment. 

 
Chocolate Nutella Cupcakes:
•           8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
•           2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
•           1/4 cup Nutella
•           1/2 cup (1 1/2 oz) Dutch-processed cocoa
•           3/4 cup (3 3/4 oz) unbleached all-purpose flour
•           1/2 teaspoon baking soda
•           3/4 teaspoon baking powder
•           2 large eggs
•           3/4 cup (5 1/4 oz) sugar
•           1 teaspoon vanilla extract
•           1/2 teaspoon table salt
•           1/2 cup (4 oz) sour cream

1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line standard-sized muffin pan (1/2 cup capacity) with baking-cup liners. This makes about 12 cupcakes.
2. Combine butter, chocolate, nutella and cocoa in medium heatproof bowl. Set bowl over saucepan containing barely simmering water; heat mixture until butter and chocolate are melted and whisk until smooth and fully combined. Set aside to cool until just warm to touch.
3. Whisk flour, baking soda and baking powder in small bowl to combine
4. Whisk eggs in second medium bowl to combine; add sugar, vanilla and salt and whisk until fully incorporated. Add cooled chocolate mixture and whisk until combined. Sift about one-third of flour mixture over chocolate mixture and whisk until combined; whisk in sour cream until combined; then sift in remaining flour mixture and whisk batter until it is homogenous and thick.
5. Divide batter evenly among muffin pan cups. Bake until skewer inserted into center of cupcakes comes out clean, 18-20 minutes.
6. Cool cupcakes in muffin pan on wire rack until cool enough to handle, about 15 minutes. Carefully lift each cupcake from muffin pan and set on wire rack. Cool to room temperature. (I left mine over night but I really wish I hadn't) 

 
I ate a cupcake RIGHT away. I broke it up into a few pieces to let it cool but WOW it was delicious! The top was almost crispy while the inside was warm, light and fluffy! Mmmm! It is funny how the consistency changes so much once it cools. The cake was still tasty but it was much denser this morning compared to the night before.
Anyway I had to come up with some sort of a topping so I decided to make a dark chocolate peanut butter ganche.


Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Ganche:
•           5 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
•           1/4 cup (1/2 stick) chilled butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
•           1 teaspoon vanilla extract
•           3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
•           3/4 cup sugar
•           2 heaping table spoons of peanut butter

Place chopped chocolate, butter, peanut butter and vanilla in medium bowl. Bring cream and sugar to boil in medium saucepan, stirring to dissolve sugar. Carefully pour hot cream mixture into bowl with chocolate. Let stand 1 minute. Whisk until melted and smooth. Dip the cupcakes into the ganche.

 The ganche matched the cupcakes perfectly and they are very delicious! They are the kind of cupcakes that should be enjoyed with a glass of milk... except I hate milk haha.

As for next time I would love to top these with a fresh cut strawberries and sugar and perhaps fill them with a regular dark chocolate ganche. I think that would really take these to the next level.

Another idea I have is to, again fill them with the peanut butter chocolate ganche but top them with a nutella cream cheese frosting. Yum!

I cannot wait to try these new ideas but for now I am going to go eat another one!

1 comment: