Thursday, September 1, 2011

Boston Cream Pie Cake - Club:BAKED

So the Sunday Night Cake for Club:BAKED came and went and I completely missed it! I was too busy and distracted and it passed me by! I didn't even notice until a week later. Thanks to my lovely sister the Ginger Snap Girl I didn't miss this weeks recipe, Boston Cream Pie Cake!

So I have to be honest. The only Boston Cream Pie I have had before was out of a Yoplait container haha, but it just happens to be my favorite flavor! Well, I know this is a cake and not the real Boston Cream Pie, but I love it anyway! It was delicious!

Anyway, I have decided that from now on I am going to increase the photos and decrease the talking so here you go...

Right away I got the feeling that the cupcake idea wasn't going to work out so well....


 I had originally planned to fill the cupcakes with the cream and top them with the chocolate glaze but after seeing them I wasn't too sure how that would work out.

 New Plan! Mini Cakes!

 Pouring the glaze... I went a bit Glaze Crazy!


 I made all different sizes... 4 layer, 3 layer and sandwich size


 I know it's hard to tell but each layer has an inner cream center while the chocolate cream outer circle.


You can see the cream center a bit better once you get inside but I just could not get the white cream to photograph well against the white cake.


 I know they are messy and that they aren't the prettiest cakes in the world but they do taste good!


 I didn't want to give up on the cupcake idea completely so I made to following my original plan.


 And they came out better then I had thought they would.


 Once the wrapper was peeled away they started to look kind of cute but they left behind a VERY messy cupcake wrapper.


 There is the cream filling, once again there is the regular pastry cream in there as well you just can't see it yet.


 I had a lot of variations haha



Thank you Brooke for picking this wonderful recipe!
To see how the Boston Cream Pie cake came out for Brooke, check out her blog Brookes Bountiful Kitchen.
To see how all the other Club:BAKED bloggers fared, click here: Club:BAKED.

7 comments:

  1. Those cupcakes are freaking adorable. For some reason I didn't love love the flavor of the cake or the texture, but loved the fillings. I think your ratio of cream to cake looks fabulous :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your mini layered cakes. They are so cute! With all that delicious glaze dripping over the sides. Good stuff.

    I also had a hard time photographing the vanilla pastry cream in the piece I cut out. It's like it disappeared!

    So glad you baked along this week. Now we know how to make sweet delicious pastry cream...Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE your little mini cakes. They are so cute! I thought about trying cupcakes, but wasn't sure exactly how I would do it. I thought I would have to do something like you did with the mini cakes and then just opted to do the regular cake so I could try to make a 6-layer cake. I also see you used the Reynolds StayBrite liners. I am a big fan of those, but the last two times I used them the cupcakes are separating form the liners pretty quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! I did the same thing.....kind of a pain, huh? But they turned out adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone!!!
    Lorraine, I completely agree about the liners separating. It was a good thing I didn't end up keeping them on because they were all coming off on there own, but I really like the way they look.
    Kristen, YES haha more then kind of! But I am happy with how they came out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katie- these are so adorable...love them! I had a bunch of extra custard from the cake (since I made an extra batch of the vanilla) and thought about doing something like this. In the end I didn't have the energy. These are just picture perfect. I envision these with tea at high noon. Really great idea and well executed.

    ReplyDelete